RR infrastructure / trestle bridge, townsite historic buildings, Pagosa Junction cemetery & community, Catholic church, Gato / Pagosa Cemetery – mention new location of Gomez Store
GPS Location: 37.03806, -107.1992
Miles from Chama: 45.49 Miles
Miles from Durango: 58.32 Miles
Pagosa Junction is located along County Road 500 on the Southern Ute Reservation on the banks of the San Juan River. Until 1935, a branch line of the Denver & Rio Grande Western ran north from the junction to Pagosa Springs along Cat Creek. Today, the mostly abandoned town includes a short section of track, several old gondola cars, the ruins of a water tank, a steel truss bridge, and several other railroad buildings. The station is long gone. Note that after the branch to Pagosa Springs was abandoned, the station became known as Gato, Spanish for cat. The town-site includes several other historic buildings, including a Catholic church. The famous Gomez store at Pagosa Junction was moved to Pagosa Springs several years ago and is now on display on the grounds of the Fred Harmon Museum, west of town on US 160. Do not trespass on Ute land.